Next Saturday, May 17, we celebrate Armed Forces Day. This is near and dear to my heart and I want to take some time to feature some lovely patterns to honor our military heros.
A little background on this holiday first. It was first celebrated on May 20, 1950. Previously, the military branches each had their own day of celebration. Armed Forces Day is celebrated the 3rd Saturday in May. It is the last day of Armed Forces Week, which begins the second Saturday in May. To read a bit more about this very special holiday, click here.
1. Armed Forces Day Jar Cozy– This is not only an adorable crochet pattern, but also includes a Potato Cheese Soup recipe (to make it like an MRE- Meal Ready to Eat) (FREE!)
2. Crochet Beanie– available in sizes from preemie to adult! (FREE!)
3. Military Afghan– lovely afghan supporting all branches (FREE! Free sign up required)
4. Toy Army Corps Net– perfect for those little boys in your life! (FREE!)
5. Boys Army Floppy Brimmed Hat– scroll to the bottom of the page in the very bottom window to find this cute pattern (FREE!)
6. Free Army Boonie Hat Pincushion Crochet Pattern – scroll to the bottom of the page in the very bottom window to find this pincushion pattern (FREE!)
I also wanted to list a few places where the community can give back to the military.
1. Military Families Ministry– Accepts knit or crochet prayer patches and prayer shawls
2. Scarves for Heroes– Collects handmade scarves to distribute
3. Soldiers’ Angels– crochet, knit, loomed blankets and scarves
4. Warmth for Warriors– knit and crochet hats
I hope to do some of these, and would love to have my fellow blog readers join me! I know there are other organizations out there as well. If you know of them, would you share them with me so I can add them to the list?